- About Us
- Web Sites
- Current Issues
- COURSES 16
- General Server Configuration
- Archived Sites
- Pre-Moodle 2
- 2010 Server Rollover
- COURSES 15
- Systems Group
- Data Portal
- Cert Exam App
- Data Updates
- EAHR Advising
- EPSY Grad Application
- Field-Based/Student Teaching
- Grad Review
- HLKN Advising Forms
- Project Achieve
- SPED Prof Phase App
- Student Database
- Student Observations
- Help System
- Windows Utilities
- Linux Utilities
- Hard Drive Data Recovery
- Data Portal Servers
- VM Hosts
- Shutdown Order
- Triplite KVM Switches
- IT Security
Mapping a Network Drive
If you do not have, but need, shared drive space on the network for your research group please contact Technology Services and include a list of people who need access to the folder.
CEHD shares are usually of the form
- \\CEHDSERVER.cehd.tamu.edu\Shares\DEPT\folder (for Windows) OR
- smb://CEHDSERVER.cehd.tamu.edu/Shares/DEPT/folder (for Macs)
Instructions for Windows
Note. Windows Explorer - the window where you see drives, folders and files. (Start-->Computer OR the folder icon. NOT the blue E for Internet Explorer)
To add a shortcut to a shared folder on Windows 7,
- If this is a new folder or you were recently added, logout of Windows and back in. (This is necessary for new permissions to take affect.)
- Open Windows Explorer (see above)
- Right click on "Computer" in the left hand menu and select "Add Netowrk Location"
- Click "Next" on the welcome screen
- Click "Choose a custom network location" and then click "Next"
- Type of Copy of the address (UNC) provided you for your folder and click "Next"
- Use the default name (recommended) or give it a new one and click "Next"
- Click "Finish"
- If you have permissions to read the selected folder it will open for you. If you do not, you will an error message "Windows cannot access \\SERVER\YOURSHARE"
- If you still can't login, contact Technology Services with your username (CEHD username - faculty/staff or your NetID - students)
- Once you are able to access the folder, you can right click on the shortcut or a subfolder and select ("Create Shortcut") [OR you can drag-and-drop with the right-button] and put the shortcut on your desktop or other location.
Instructions for Macs
To add a shortcut to shared folder on Macs,
- On Macs, shared folder addresses look like smb://SERVER/sharename/folder
- The Mac equivalent of the Windows address \\CEHDSERVER.cehd.tamu.edu\Shares\DEPT\My_Project would be smb://CEHDSERVER.cehd.tamu.edu/Shares/DEPT/My_Project
- Once you have the folder address, go to Finder (Menu) --> Go --> Connect to Server and enter the folder address.
Connecting from Off-campus
- Be sure to use the full server name
- CEHDSERVER = cehdserver.cehd.tamu.edu
- GATEWAY = gateway.cehd.tamu.edu
- You must use A&M's VPN service
- You may already have VPN installed. Search for VPN or Cisco to check. If not, you may need to contact Technology Services to install it for you.
- Information about VPN can be found at http://hdc.tamu.edu/Connecting/VPN/ or by calling A&M's Help Desk Central at 979-845-8300.